BASEBALL: Angels’ series in Oakland is seen as an opportunity to prepare for the AL Division Series. By Doug Padilla STAFF WRITER OAKLAND – The Angels will try to put together the pieces this weekend in the Bay Area, although as shattered as they appear it will take plenty of adhesive. A miserable three-game sweep at Texas only added to the headache the Angels felt after celebrating the division title Sunday with plenty of champagne and beer. The Angels will use the upcoming three games at Oakland to build momentum for the playoffs, but they won’t be at full strength. Gary Matthews Jr., who was injured in Wednesday’s game, will have his left knee reexamined today and his status for the playoffs will become clearer. “We’ll have to see where we are,” Scioscia said when asked if all the regulars will play this weekend. “That was our intent. There are some things we have to consider now.” Home-field advantage throughout the playoffs was still at stake when the Angels landed in Texas Sunday night. When they departed Wednesday evening, it had been all but eliminated. What happens now? The Angels now know they will open the postseason at Boston in all likelihood. Once the Red Sox clinch the American League East title, Angels director of travel Tom Taylor can book a charter flight to New England. When the Angels will start the playoffs is still up in the air. The schedule will become official once the best record in the American League is decided. Because of a new rule this year, the AL team with the best record gets to pick one of two five-game American League Division Series schedules. The first schedule would allow the team with the best record to host opening ALDS games Wednesday and Oct 5. The second schedule would have the Angels host games on Thursday and Oct 5. There is no difference on the dates of the remaining three games (Oct. 7, 8 and 10). The benefit of the first schedule is that the starting pitchers of Games 1 and 2 can also pitch Games 4 and 5 on regular rest. The Indians are expected to prefer this schedule since it allows 18-game winner C.C. Sabathia and 19-game winner Fausto Carmona to pitch twice in the opening series. The Red Sox also would seem to prefer this scenario since 20-game winner Josh Beckett (he can make it 21 Thursday night) and likely Game 2 starter Curt Schilling can pitch twice. The twist of the second scenario is that it necessitates a fourth starter. For the Angels, that is likely to be Joe Saunders, who is 2-0 against the Red Sox this season. That is one more reason Boston might chose the longer series if they had the AL’s top record. All that is fun to think about, but the Angels’ first priority is to find the swagger they haven’t seen since sweeping the Seattle Mariners during a series at Seattle on Aug. 27-29 to take control of the division. That sweep was in the middle of a five-game win streak. Since that run ended, the Angels are a ho-hum 12-13. Scioscia gave much-needed rest to Vladimir Guerrero and Garret Anderson the first two games of the Texas series, even with the AL’s top record in question. Even though the Angels are a major league-best 54-27 at home, the biggest question shouldn’t be why Scioscia would do such a thing, but rather why he didn’t rest even more regulars. Of course, that is easier to say in hindsight. Chone Figgins, still aggravated by a sore right wrist and two broken fingers in his right hand from spring training, would have been a good candidate to get a break. He doesn’t have a hit in his last 14 at-bats. Orlando Cabrera could have used more than just one day off as Erick Aybar started at shortstop Wednesday. It was only the fifth time this season Cabrera has not played in a game. “We didn’t get anything going on the field that we need to get going,” Scioscia said. “Hopefully … well, not hopefully, we need to push it this weekend and win a lot of games. “The playoffs are kind of an entity all by themselves, but you would feel much better about yourself if you can carry a little momentum and positive play out of the regular season.” Note: Saturday’s game will not be on live television, but will air tape delayed at 4 p.m. on Channel 13. [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“I have four daughters, and I believe that if anything is going to medically take place within any of my daughters’ bodies, I should be informed of that,” Jacobson said. “The initiative is not about whether or not I consent to it being done, it’s just a matter of me being informed and knowing what’s happening with my daughters.” Jacobson added that she had an abortion at age 18 and discussed it with her mother. “I know I was able to get through it, but only because I was able to talk to my mother about it, and she was able to stand by me and support it,” Jacobson said. Harrison Sheppard, (916)446-6723 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 Life on the Ballot, the main committee promoting the measure, has raised about $1.2 million, a relatively small amount compared with the tens of millions of dollars raised for several other measures on the November ballot, but competitive with the $1.6 million raised by opponents of the measure. The strongest support for the measure – authored by Paul and Barbara Laubacher, Catholic parents and registered nurses in the Sacramento area – comes from Catholic and anti-abortion groups such as the California Catholic Conference of Bishops, the California Prolife Council, the Traditional Values Coalition and the Campaign for Children and Families. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger also supports the measure. Supporters argue that when parents must consent to their minor children receiving an aspirin at school or going on a field trip, they should at least be informed when their children are undergoing an abortion. Tina Jacobson, a parent in Elk Grove, said she would want to know if one of her daughters was undergoing the procedure. SACRAMENTO – Supporters of Proposition 73, which would require parents to be notified 48 hours before a minor undergoes an abortion, say parents are entitled to information about their children’s activities, particularly involving a medical procedure. “This is about notification – it’s not about overturning Roe v. Wade,” said Stan Devereux, spokesman for the Life on the Ballot Committee, the main group behind the measure. “It’s not about abortion. It’s about parental rights.” The measure would require a physician to give a parent or guardian written notice in person or by mail 48 hours before performing an abortion on an unemancipated minor under age 18. It does not require parental consent. The measure also would allow exceptions in cases including medical emergencies, court orders and waivers signed in advance by a parent.