Chanderpaul, Best, Edwards, Santokie for Masters League

first_imgST. JOHN’S, Antigua, CMC- Four West Indies cricketers have been given permission to play in the inaugural Masters Champions League (MCL) T20 scheduled to start tomorrow in the United Arab Emirates. The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) announced yesterday that so far No Objection Certificates (NOCs) have been granted to Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Tino Best, Fidel Edwards and Krishmar Santokie. All four players have written to the WICB indicating that they have retired. The MCL is an approved tournament of the International Cricket Council for players who have retired from international cricket. However, the players are still eligible to compete for their respective Franchises in their member countries, regional tournaments and other worldwide leagues. The exception is Barbadian Edwards, who is a Kolpak player, having opted to play for Hampshire in the United Kingdom after giving up his right to play for his member country. West Indies batting legend Brian Lara, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag, Adam Gilchrist, Kumar Sangakkara, Jacques Kallis and  Andrew Symonds  are also among stars to feature in the MCL. The MCL, which will feature six franchises, is set to run from Thursday, January 28 to Saturday, February 13 in the United Arab Emirates. MCL T20 will showcase 18 matches including the semi final and the final at the Dubai International Stadium.last_img read more

Pelosi calls Stark’s Iraq comments ‘inappropriate’

first_img160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WASHINGTON – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi rebuked a fellow San Francisco Bay Area liberal Friday for what she said were “inappropriate” comments about Iraq during a congressional debate. During a debate on children’s health care Thursday, Rep. Pete Stark accused Republicans of sending troops to Iraq to “get their heads blown off for the president’s amusement.” Condemnations rolled in from Republican politicians, right-leaning bloggers had a field day, and a White House spokesman declined to “dignify those remarks” with a response. Pelosi issued a statement late Friday rapping Stark, who is in his 18th term representing the liberal East Bay. He’s California’s longest-serving House member. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“While members of Congress are passionate about their views, what Congressman Stark said during the debate was inappropriate and distracted from the seriousness of the subject at hand – providing health care for America’s children,” Pelosi said. Stark’s comment came as the House failed Thursday to override President George W. Bush’s veto of legislation to expand the popular State Children’s Health Insurance Program. “You don’t have money to fund the war or children,” Stark accused Republicans. “But you’re going to spend it to blow up innocent people if we can get enough kids to grow old enough for you to send to Iraq to get their heads blown off for the president’s amusement.” After numerous Republicans called on him to apologize, Stark said it was they who should be apologizing, for failing to provide the votes to override Bush’s veto. Asked for a White House response Friday, spokesman Tony Fratto said: “I see absolutely no reason to dignify those remarks with a comment.”last_img read more