South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma said free university education is possible, four days after he acceded to demands of students to freeze fee levels for next year following nationwide protests.“It’s possible, but it’s not a question you can do overnight,” Zuma, 73, said on Tuesday in an interview at his residence in Pretoria. “You’ve got to be able to have the resources.”Thousands of students demonstrated across the nation for almost two weeks, leading to clashes with riot police at Parliament in Cape Town and at the government’s offices in the capital. After meeting with student and university leaders on Oct. 23, Zuma agreed to leave tuition unchanged and promised to investigate wider issues preventing poor people from accessing tertiary education.“It was clear that if we did not have a solution the demonstrations would have gone further,” Zuma said in his first interview since the fees announcement. “They were very courageous. I sympathize with them. I know that the cost of education in South Africa is very high.”The concession means the state and universities must find an additional 2.6 billion rand ($190 million) at a time when the economy is close to a recession and at risk of a credit-rating downgrade.The #FeesMustFall Twitter campaign was fueled by rising student costs, including fees, housing, food and textbooks that can exceed 100,000 rand ($7,300) a year. First-year tuition alone at the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, where the protests started, ranges from about 32,000 rand to more than 58,000 rand.Zuma said he decided not to meet the students, snubbing their demands, outside his Union Buildings offices after seeing them battle with police, who used stun grenades and water cannons on the demonstrators who were throwing stones and building fires on the buildings lawns.“There was anxiety because the behavior of the students outside was quite something,” Zuma said. “I don’t think it was therefore prudent to just go and meet the stones and therefore move away from the important issue of addressing the cause of the protests.”The demonstrations were not a sign of widening discontent with the government of the ruling African National Congress, Zuma said. “Some forces are using the student issues to create a particular atmosphere,” he said.Students posted criticism of Zuma and the ANC on Twitter during the demonstrations, saying that they had been promised free education in 1994 when South Africa held its first all-race elections. Some said the ANC would be punished in elections scheduled for 2019.Most universities resumed their activities on Wednesday. The concessions won from Zuma were a “short-term victory,” though the greater struggle for free education continues, the Student Representative Council at Witwatersrand University said.“We have won the battle, a great battle, but the war for free education continues with a renewed strategy,” they said.
THE Guyana Football Federation (GFF) will kick off the third season of their ‘Elite League’, featuring ten of the country’s top teams, with a double-header tonight at the Leonora Track and Field Facility.After the grand opening ceremony at 15:00hrs, ‘Big Four’ winners – Fruta Conquerors will face newcomers New Amsterdam United from 17:30hrs, and defending champions Guyana Defence Force (GDF) tackle first-timers Western Tigers FC at 20:00hrs.This year, the winners will receive $5M, second-place $2M, third and fourth will pocket $1M and $500 000 respectively.The new season will see six of the top clubs added to the pool of elite teams following their receipt of their respective CONCACAF Club licences in September, including Western Tigers FC, Cougars FC, New Amsterdam United FC, Ann’s Grove FC, Den Amstel FC and Milerock FC.Ian Alves, Competitions Director of the GFF said the Federation is looking forward to a competitive season with the additional clubs and incentives, and that the players also have a responsibility to ensure this is realised.“In return, players have been asked to bring their best game on each match day in order to make the league attractive to the fans. We therefore urge club supporters and football fans in general to come out and experience Guyana’s highest level of football as we continue to grow and develop the league towards self-sustenance in the near future,” Alves said.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisAlpena — $55,000 separates the Thunder Bay Theatre from beginning construction on Phase I of their capital campaign, a campaign to completely reconstruct and revamp the venue in five years.For Phase I, the goal is to completely redo the lobby and entrance, creating a more welcoming and open atmosphere. The plan includes refurbishing the floors, removing the office space, moving the box office to the historic cigar humidor within the lobby, bringing back glass windows to let light in, a new entrance, new furniture, and more open space. The whole project will cost $150,000.“It’s dark in here,” said Managing Director Molly Stricker. “It doesn’t make you want to hang out here, and I think for the people who work here and a lot of our high school students, this would be a place of life all the time if it was more inviting.”The campaign is rooted in the Community Foundation For Northeast Michigan. Besser Foundation committed $30,000 to the campaign. The Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs is providing a $40,000 grant. The Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan provided a quarterly report with $25,000 worth of donations for Phase I.Funding is coming in strong for the reconstruction. Producing Artistic Director Jeffrey Mindock feels very confident heading into the final stretch of fundraising. All eyes lie on the new lobby concept designs soon to be a reality.“We want it to feel and look brand new while still paying an homage to what has come before us,” said Mindock.Mindock’s vision is to incorporate the old with the new. He wants to bring out the historical elements of the former drug store and cigar shop. Mindock also wants to honor the early days of Thunder Bay Theatre when the venue was brand new.“I want everybody to come together and go ‘wow!’ said Mindock. “I remember what this looked like when I was here, and now I’m proud now that I’m here again.”To learn more about the campaign and how to donate, visit the website https://www.thunderbaytheatre.com/capcampaign.htmlAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: alpena, Capital Campaign, Fletcher Street, Lobby, Phase I, Theatre, Thunder Bay TheatreContinue ReadingPrevious What’s Trending on October 4Next 2 Men are Dead and 1 Alpena Man in Serious Condition Following Crash in Tawas City